Shiny things, like my chunky, glittery peep-toe pumps, are one of those little luxuries I can't live without. And I cannot imagine my home without some shiny décor. Whether you have an admiration for ultratraditional or ultramodern style, a little glitter and a little gleam can increase the glam factor of any room. It will bring in brightness and interest. I have listed my top 10 reasons to add sparkle to a room — but the truth is you never need a reason to shine.
1. Shiny details in a room kick the word 'workspace' to the curb. Reflective, glitzy décor gives any space, including a workspace, an inviting divine feel. Don't let the word "home office" or "kitchen" dictate how you decorate it. Yes, you need to consider function first, but layer your work surfaces and the walls with beautiful, shining accents to create a stunning setting. Wouldn't you love to walk into your home office and feel like the king or queen of it?
Sparkle not only looks grand, but it keeps the eye from focusing on other things, like a messy desk. Try tall lamps in groups of two with a shine on the lamp base so there will be a lot of light reflecting off of them. Choose a chair with nail heads, and pick up fun glitzy accents from any local retail store to place on the corner of your desk or on a bookshelf.
For your desk or counter: Keep mail or "to-do" items in a silver tray like this one so even everyday organization tools become glamorous.
2. Large-scale shine eliminates the need for expensive wall moldings. If you're looking to add character and drama to a wall, try a large mirror with a reflective metal frame, instead of a wood finish. A round shape can be very glamorous, or group a bunch of smaller mirrors.
3. Shiny details can create a "wow" moment even in a small space. Distract from how small a space is with shiny details. Change out the mirror in a powder room with one that has a frame that sparkles, use wallpaper with a shiny texture or change out fixtures to glitzier ones.
Here is a soft silver metallic wallpaper that would look great in a bathroom, layered with a silver mirror. I can also see it in a living room, along with a gray contemporary sofa and a plush shag rug.
4. It can create an inexpensive bathroom makeover. Some new paint on the walls and simple changes like new silver or gold framed mirrors, new light fixtures and accessories can be the makeover your bathroom needs without the cost of major remodel. Lots of shine in a bathroom creates a brighter space and gives it life.
5. You can turn eating into a dining experience. Let your dining room or kitchen shine all day and night with the use of reflective accents.
Looking for an easy inexpensive DIY makeover to get this look? If you have a dining set, keep the classic table and use spray paint from your local hardware or craft store on your chairs to get a silver look.
On top of a buffet or countertop, add numerous silver vases in varying heights, widths and shapes (they don't even need to be the same silver, some can be antiqued, for example, because when grouped together they will make a sparkly cohesive arrangement).
Next, change out your window rod to a one-inch silver one, and don't forget to use a shiny chandelier.
6. A room can reflect the VIP in you. Do you have one room in your home that makes you feel uniquely elegant? I can imagine hosting many VIP nights in a room like this. From the glam overhead pendant to the large shiny mirror, sconces and vases, all reflecting beautifully off deep gray-toned walls; it has all the bells and whistles of a roped-off private party.
7. Shiny touches can create a romantic elegance. Add silky drapes, a shiny overhead light or lamps and even throw pillows with sequins or a metallic look to add romance to any room.
8. Shiny surfaces create the illusion of more space. Mirrored furniture is not only Hollywood glam to look at but, because it is reflective, it doesn't feel heavy in a room and is perfect for narrow spaces. Silver finishes are also great additions to neutral spaces because they add interest without color.
9. Stainless steel makes a kitchen feel modern. If you want a modern look, pull in stainless steel appliances, backsplash, accents and hardware, and choose silver finishes for your seating.
These mercury-glass pendants would look fabulous paired or tripled over an island. Create even more sparkle by using silver island stools below.
10. Shiny accents dance in a neutral palette. If you want to keep a space soft and serene, you may decide to use a neutral palette. Shiny finishes on décor elements allow you to bring in interest and a high-end feel without color.